Depression and Self-Harm in the Midst of Faith and Poetry with Wajid Haqq
The Mindful Muslim is an Inspirited Minds podcast that hosts raw, open, and honest conversations on various topics within the sphere of mental health, psychology, Islam and spirituality.
In this episode we meet Wajid Haqq, a.k.a ‘Heretic’, a spoken word artist who shares his experiences with depression, religious PTSD and self-harm. He really explores the concept of mental health with faith and identity through his writing and poetry.
During the episode, he discussed:
- His idea behind the self-titled name ‘heretic’ and what it stands for
- The motivation behind becoming a spoken word artist and how this shaped his identity
- The personal experience of his mental health, including been diagnosed with depression and how he used pain to cope
- His interaction with the Muslim community and how stigma played a huge role in deteriorating his wellbeing
- The importance of having a support network in dealing with struggles
- How faith played a role in his lived experiences
- In what ways he coped and his advice to people struggling with mental health difficulties
You can find Heretic Official on Youtube.
If you would like to ask us a question, suggest a topic you would like us to discuss on the podcast or if you would like to feature on the podcast as a guest, then please get in touch with the Mindful Muslim Podcast Team at email@example.com.
Support our podcast by becoming a Torchbearer for Inspirited Minds.