The Mindful Muslim is an Inspirited Minds podcast that hosts raw, open, and honest conversations on various topics within the sphere of mental health, psychology, Islam and spirituality.
Our host, Sivan, meets Madiyah Rana in this episode. Madiyah Rana is a published author of a book for teenage Muslimahs. She is a mother of two under three, and is currently pursuing a Bsc in Psychology and Mental Health. Prior to this stream of study, Madiyah also studied a BSc in Islamic Psychology whilst writing for her blog, ‘Al Musaafirah (the traveller), which is now known as ‘Tarbiyah Tales’.
Madiyah is a survivor of childhood trauma and post-natal depression, which has fueled her passion for Mental Health and raising healthy, emotionally intelligent children. Faith was one of the biggest factors towards her own healing as well as faith-guided counselling, some of which was taken with Inspirited Minds. She has delivered workshops for local ISOCs to raise awareness of Mental Health amongst Muslims and to shed light on the Islamic perspective. When she’s not studying or home-making, you will find her curled up in bed with a hot cuppa and a good book or watching MasterChef.
During the episode, she talks about:
- Her experience of childhood trauma and how it affected her growing up, including signs and symptoms
- The importance of self-discovery, including the role of counselling and therapy in increasing self-awareness
- How her trauma morphed into PTSD and OCD, and how she coped with it in a time where counselling and therapy was not readily available
- The challenges she faced when raising children and being a parent with her own trauma, and which parenting techniques helped her
- How faith played a role in her recovery process, and realising that faith and mental health are intertwined but not in the way we expect
- Why it’s vital to have a good, healthy support network in your life
- Coping techniques like finding a safe space and positive affirmations, and how they are powerful tools to keep when you are not feeling mentally well
You can find Madiyah on Instagram @tarbiyahtales. She is currently working on her next book related to trauma and healing through faith and Qur’an.
If you would like to ask us a question, suggest a topic you would like us to discuss on the podcast or if you would like to feature on the podcast as a guest, then please get in touch with the Mindful Muslim Podcast Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support our podcast by becoming a Torchbearer for Inspirited Minds.