Unlearning Behaviours Through Borderline Personality Disorder with Aiysha Khalil
The Mindful Muslim is an Inspirited Minds podcast that hosts raw, open, and honest conversations on various topics within the sphere of mental health, psychology, Islam and spirituality.
This month, Sivan (our host) meets Aiysha Khalil. Aiysha is a working muslimah, currently employed within the NHS. She graduated in Psychology and has lived with a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. She has spent the next 9 years after her diagnosis managing mental health and life.
She has also volunteered at The Listening Place as a listening volunteer to support people struggling with suicidal ideation and suicidality and to help others in whatever way she can.
During the episode, she talks about:
- What Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is and how she was diagnosed
- How her childhood experiences and marriage negatively impacted her mental health
- Her symptoms and how BPD can affect social interactions and relationships
- How she overcame her mental health disorder with a combination of therapy, unlearning/relearning practices and faith
- How she was in the minority as a Muslim woman diagnosed with BPD, and how she coped with that feeling
- Her coping methods and self-care practices that helped her on her journey to recovery
- More about The Listening Place where she worked as a listening volunteer supporting suicidal individuals
Today, Aiysha does not qualify to receive a diagnosis of BPD, and her story of healing and recovery is truly inspiring.
If you would like to ask us a question, suggest a topic you would like us to discuss on the podcast or even feature on the podcast as a guest, then please do get in touch with the Mindful Muslim Podcast Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support our podcast by becoming a Torchbearer for Inspirited Minds.