The Mindful Muslim is an Inspirited Minds platform that hosts raw, open, and honest conversations on various topics within the sphere of mental health, psychology, Islam and spirituality.
We’re back with an enlightening episode with Lauren Greaves. Our host, Sivan Kader, learns about Lauren’s experience with diabetes as a teenager and how this grew into a cycle of intrusive thoughts and self-esteem issues, culminating in bulimia and kidney disease.
She takes us through her journey in the healthcare system and how she eventually became better and took control of her physical health and mental wellbeing. She also discusses her surprise at seeing men suffer from eating disorders and how mental health does not discriminate between the sexes.
Through her powerful words, Lauren painted a picture of her struggles with hope and proactivity, and how looking after ourselves can really make a difference in our quality of life.
Some of the things you’ll find out about are:
- Lauren’s journey with her mental health and what encouraged her to eventually reach out for help
- What practical things Lauren does to maintain good mental health and wellbeing
- How social media and it’s illusion of a perfect life can negatively affect our mental health
- How her experience with the NHS helped her improve her overall health and wellbeing
- Lauren’s struggle with being on the organ donor list, and how she feels it can really help others beyond the grave
Lauren’s struggle with kidney disease can be read in more detail here. You can support Lauren and other people with kidney problems at the St. George Hospital Charity website. If you would like to ask us a question, suggest a topic you would like us to discuss on the podcast or if you would like to feature on the podcast as a guest, then please get in touch with the Mindful Muslim Podcast Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support our podcast by becoming an Inspirited Minds Torchbearer – https://torchbearer.inspiritedminds.org.uk